During the 1920s, with many world records and racing successes, enthusiasm for Douglas machines grew, leading to the formation of factory-sponsored clubs throughout the UK. The ‘London Douglas M.C.C.’ was formed in 1928 by a few Douglas owners and during the 1930s membership gradually increased as popular activities such as sporting events, day trips, camping weekends and long distance runs were held.
After the war, during which activities were suspended, a few members reformed the Club and the staging of social, sporting and touring events soon led to an increase in membership. As a result, new sections were formed away from London around the country. As the popularity of motorcycling began to decline in the 1960s the number of members dwindled to around 100 or so but these enthusiasts kept the Club going until the 1970s. By this time, however, Douglas motorcycles were no longer a member’s regular means of transport but were machines to treasure, maintain, refurbish and ride on leisure occasions.
By the mid-1970s the Club had changed considerably and, although a London Club by name, it had by then become the International Club for Douglas owners. Membership increased across the country and overseas so that today the London Douglas M.C.C. Ltd is a healthy and thriving Club, participating in a wide range of activities and with a membership exceeding 1100.